“I know I will feel better once I start, I just have a hard time to get going and sticking with it.”
Sound familiar? We will help you turn the exercise switch ON! In addition, we will help you and your family keep the momentum going. What do you need to do?
Commit to a FAMILY PLAN. Here are our 5 UBER steps to get active.
1. Set your goal. If you want to be more physically active, you need to start by setting an expectation or a goal. Each family member must start with a personal goal, a self-chosen intention around being physically active. Examples include:
- I will be active twice a week for 30 minutes at a time
- I will exercise each day for 20 minutes
- I will move my body 3 times a week for one hour at a time
What is your personal physical activity goal?
What are physical activity goals for each family member?
2. Brainstorm the possibilities. Once you have decided how much time you plan on being active each week, next comes the brainstorm! Here's what to do:
- Invite family members to a family brainstorming session
- Ask them to list as many ideas as possible ideas
- Remain neutral and positive as you seek to help foster buy-in from each family members
- Is the list complete? Have we missed anything?
- What about this activity appeals to you?
- Which activities will you enjoy the most? Which activity does not appeal to you?
- What is realistic in terms of time?
- What can we afford? What can we save and plan for?
- Which activities can be done together?
"Time will be tight but I want to be make sure I am more active, so I will bring my workout clothes to work and change before I leave."
"I like the idea of ice skating as a family. My concern is my recent knee surgery. I am not ready to skate but I can drive you there and help get your skates on. I think I could even walk around the park next to the arena while you guys are skating."
4. Plan the schedule. Keep the enthusiasm going and commit to a schedule. Plan the weekly activities by writing it on the family calendar. Alternatively, create a schedule just for your family activities.
Discuss all the steps necessary for success! Sometimes this means letting go of other activities that we might enjoy but get in the way of my new plan. Download our free 7-Day Physical Activity Tracker and use it to track your family's activity to help you stay focused.
5. Post it. Post your plan in a highly visible place where it will serve as a reminder and motivator for the whole family. As a family, decide the best place to post this plan. Let your kids see you in action and place check marks following the completion of each activity.
These 5 UBER steps will help you and your family be UBER ACTIVE!